Automatic cat feeders are the ultimate devices that accomplish the goal of dispensing food to your feline friends with or without you. They are available in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors but achieve the same task in slightly different ways. Some cat feeders can feed multiple pets at a time and others are remotely controlled. They all pretty much solve the problem of feeding your cat promptly at a low cost. After all, there are many ways to feed your cat automatically, and this article will show you the automatic devices to help you do so.
The Best Automatic Cat Feeder
Let’s kick things off with the best of the bunch. The PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Cat and Dog Feeder with Stainless Steel Bowl makes sure your cat’s healthy feeding routine is adhered to. You are guaranteed your peace of mind with the best automatic cat feeder. It dispenses fresh food even without your intervention. It allows you to schedule as well as regulate the meal portions to suit your cat’s needs. Also, it is pet-proofed to prevent your pets from sneaking a few extra treats. It is made from easy to clean plastic and stainless-steel components. The cat feeder can be programmed to dispense food slowly to prevent digestive issues. It is worth noting that this feeder is not suitable for outdoor use.
Convenient feed dispensing scheduling
Adjustable meal portions
Slow feed option
- Weight6.5 pounds
The WOPET Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser for Cats and Dogs is another way to go when it comes to automatic food dispensers. This automatic pet feeder makes mealtimes a delight for your furry friend. The voice recorder function allows you to record a message to be played when its feeding time. This auto pet feeder gives your cat the feeling that you are around to feed it. The WOPET Feeder comes with a digital clock and mechanized system that makes sure food is delivered promptly. The pet feeder is easy to set up and operate. It is equipped with a USB adapter, cable, and 4-D batteries that act as a backup when power is lost. The food container can be detached, allowing for easy cleaning. Due to its small size, it can easily be knocked over by larger pets and aggressive eaters.
Recorded voice function
Scheduled Automated Feeding
Large Feed Stores
- Weight6.2 pounds
Do you have multiple cats? Then look no further than PetSafe. They come through again with another handy yet budget-friendly pet feeder. If your feline friends are just not ready to share their meals, then get the PetSafe 5 Meal Pet Feeder for Dogs and Cats. The cat feeder is designed to feed up to five cats at the same time. Talk about happy kitties. The timed pet feeder allows you to set personal meal times in hourly increments serving a maximum of five meals a day. The compartments hold up to 1 cup of dry cat food, which is excellent for your pint-sized felines and kittens. The self-cat feeder allows you to regulate and set up smaller meals to help in weight management. This feeder is on its own impressive, but with a price under $50, it becomes a quality must-have.
Easy to set up
Prompt food dispensing
Comes with Rechargeable batteries
Personalized Meals for cats
- Weight3.9 pounds
The Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder is the premium pick of the list. It is an intelligently designed smart unit that moves away from the typical automatic pet feeders. The device comes with a highly sensitive microchip reader, which is compatible with microchip implants and RFID microchip collars. This feature makes sure that only one particular cat can access the feed available. It also makes it very suitable for cats on special diets or prescriptions. This unit comes with two detachable polypropylene bowls and a silicon mat that can hold up to 40 oz of cat food. It is robust and easy to use. It also comes with a time delay adjustment feature that allows the lid to delay by up to three seconds after losing contact with the microchip.
Works with Microchip Implant and RFID Collar Tags
Compatible with all Microchips in the world
Selective Feeder System
Protective lid for flies and smells
- BrandSure Petcare
- Weight4.8 pounds
Another functional and efficient pet feeder that takes the stress of feeding your pet while you’re away is the Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser for Dogs, Cats & Small Animals. It comes with an automated food dispensing system that doles out the meals efficiently. It comes with an alarm distribution system that dispenses meals up to four times a day. You would find the magnetic lock lid a nifty feature that allows you to control access to the 1.14-gallon bucket that contains the food. It is equipped with a motor that dishes out the feed when ready. This mealtime miracle also records personal call ups of up to 10 seconds. Like other feeders, this has a customizable feeder that works for cats of different sizes.
Records up to ten seconds of unique meal calls
Four daily distribution alarms
Life-long motor of 2000 hours
High levels of efficiency
- BrandArf Pets
- Weight6.39 pounds
Are you concerned about how your cat eats? Does the amount of food consumed by your cat bother you? Then it is time to get the BELOPEZZ 6Liters Smart Pet Automatic Feeders for Dog and Cat Food Dispenser. This cat feeding station can store up to six liters of dry food. Programmable to four meals per day, it also controls the quantities to curb overeating or starvation. It offers a ten second voice-recording feature that greets your beloved cat anytime food is dispensed. It includes two dish sizes to suit different breeds. It is designed with a dual power supply that consists of a wall outlet power component and a battery component. This means in the event when the power is lost, your beloved cat will be promptly fed.
6-liter storage capacity
Dispenses meals in small and medium quantities
10-second voice recording
Two dish sizes for small and large cats
- Weight6.8 pounds
Looking to feed your dog remotely automatically? Look no further than the PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog and Cat Feeders. The Petsafe Smart Feed allows you to regulate and monitor the feeder in real-time from your smartphone. At the press of a button, you can schedule, dispense, and monitor your fur buddy’s feeding activity for up to about two weeks. In the event, a meal cannot be distributed; the app sends a notification to your smartphone. It also allows you to monitor the feeder at your convenience. It can be programmed to dispense up to 12 meals a day. This automatic cat feeder with timer comes with a slow feed option that gives out food at 15-minute intervals. The dispensing system is designed such that it handles different feed shapes and sizes and prevents jamming. It has a 24-cup capacity, which reduces the issue of constant filling and refilling.
Easy to clean
Notifies when feed fails to dispense
Large Capacity Food Hopper
- Weight8.3 pounds
Convenience and ease is the hallmark of the PETKIT Smart Feed Automatic Cat Feeder. This line of devices is Wi-Fi enabled and designed to work with your Android or Apple smartphone via the app. The programmable pet feeder allows pet owners to schedule portions of the food from their smartphone. It gives out up to ten meals per day. It is fitted with a desiccant box to keep food fresh and dry. It is built with lights to guide cats at night. It comes with a hopper that holds up to 6 lbs. of dry food. Also, it comes in a size that works for all cats.
Removable food tray
Desiccant Box that keeps food dry
Remote scheduling and portion control
- Weight6.2 pounds
One of the best programmable pet feeders that make feeding fun, safe, and clean is the Homdox Automatic Cat Feeder Pet Food Dispenser for Cats. This device is one of the most useful accessories for all pets. It automatically feeds the cat at four preset times. It comes with a non-skid material, which makes the feeder sturdier. The Homodox Cat feeder has a screwed lid that prevents the cat from swiping some extra treats. The unit is also equipped with a speaker and voice recorder that can store and play your voice at mealtimes to alert and sometimes reduce pet anxiety. This self-feeding cat feeder ensures your cat is fed at the right time and in the right amounts. An excellent way to give your cat regular and healthy eating times.
Moisture-proof food hopper
In-built voice recorder and speaker
Stores up to 2.5 lbs. of dry food
- Weight3.9 pounds
The last self-feeding cat feeder on our list is the Cat Mate C3000 Automatic Dry Food Pet Feeder. This cat feeder allows you to program up to 3 meals a day, although you can program it to do more. It is an excellent way to reduce the risk of overfeeding your cat. It comes with a varied mode that gives you ultimate control over what your cat eats and how much it eats. Indeed it’s a nifty device for cats with unique dietary requirements. The food hopper can hold a maximum of 6.5 lbs of dry food. Its design includes an LCD screen that makes programming easy. It is made of easy to clean and dishwasher-safe components. Also, it comes with a feature that allows you to attach the unit to a wooden board for added support and security. It has It is worth noting that this dispenser can only dispense food in small pellets.
Dishwasher safe components
Large hopper capacity
Instant locking lid
LCD control feature
- BrandCat Mate
- Weight3.1 pounds
Best Automatic Cat Feeder Buying Guide & FAQ
Things to Consider When Buying an Automatic Cat Feeder
Before purchasing an automatic cat feeder for your kitty pals, it is worth considering the following factors.
- Storage Capacity: When getting your pet an automatic cat feeder, the amount of food it can store should be at the forefront of your mind. Knowing this can help you determine how much food you can buy, and how much you can dispense. Units with large storage capacities are useful for feeding more than one cat.
- Type of food: Another critical thing to consider is the type of food you can put in the auto timed cat feeder. It is worth noting that there are more options for devices that distribute dry food than wet ones.
- Cleaning and Maintenance: Easy assembling and disassembling allow for simple and thorough cleaning. Those that come with removable bowls are more hygienic. When it comes to cleaning, the material used matters a lot. Dishwasher friendly ones are even better.
- Power Source: It is worth considering how the model is powered. Does it rely solely on electricity or not? Does it have a reliable and stable back up? These are a few questions you should ask yourself.
- User-friendliness: Since you are the one that determines how and when the auto cat feeder works, you should factor in the complexity of the device. Over here, the programming, compatibility with smartphones, and simple message displays are a few things to look out for.
Benefits of Using an Automatic Pet Feeder
Ideally, every device created should have the benefits outweighing the drawbacks, and Automatic pet feeders are no different. Below are a few advantages that come with owning this accessory.
- Weight management: The first thing that comes to mind is weight management. Most pet feeders help pet parents to regulate when and how much their pets eat. This goes a long way in controlling weight gains and losses while maintaining strict diets.
- Access to fresh food: Most automated pet feeders are made with airtight materials that keep the freshness and goodness of the food as compared to the standard food bowls that are not. This allows your cat to eat fresh food at all times and is a boost to physical health. Happy pet, happy life.
- Peace of mind: These self-feeding cat feeders are heaven-sent for those cat owners who are busy and always on the move. It dispenses the right amount at the right time to keep your cat happy and guarantees peace of mind.
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat
Here are a few tips to consider in choosing the right food for your cat.
- Nutritional Value: Knowing your cat’s dietary requirements are significant in knowing what food to buy. Cats need proteins for growth, fats for good skin and healthy coat, fiber for a healthy digestive system, and plenty of fresh water.
- Variety: Cats are known to get bored quite quickly and may lose interest in one particular type of food. It will be worth it mix it up every once in a while, to keep things interesting. Some days you can feed it with dry foods, other days, wet foods.
- Compliance: Whenever you buy food for your cat, you might as well read the fine print to make sure what goes into your cat has been approved by the appropriate authorities and has passed all checks. Importantly, always check the expiry date for freshness.
- Preservatives: Look out for preservatives. Most of them take long to digest in your kitty and may cause them various forms of distress. Avoid them like the plague.
Best Automatic Cat Feeder FAQ:
Q: What is an automatic cat feeder, and how does it work?
A: An automatic cat feeder is a cat food dispenser that works by doling out preset portions of food at particular points in time during the day. It is sometimes called a cat self feeder. They can be programmed to suit your pet’s nutritional demands.
Q: Can I use canned cat food in a programmable pet feeder?
A: Yes. There are different types of programmable pet feeders around that are designed to handle canned cat foods, which are usually of the wet variety.
Q: How much should my cat eat per day?
A: The amount of food needed by kitties is dependent on several factors such as age, weight, energy levels, and others. Nutrition experts recommend 270-320 calories per day for a healthy, active, 10-lb adult cat.
Our Top Pick
Our top pick goes to The PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Cat and Dog Feeder. You can relax and concentrate on your work with this device because it will feed your cats promptly and in the right portions. It will also call out your cat when food is dispensed, making her feel like you’re there with her. It is easy to assemble, program, and clean. The power features make sure feeding times are not missed. In the event, there is a challenge with the unit, a dedicated team is always on hand to help you.